Saturday, August 23, 2008

But If You Left It Up To Me...

I work every day of the week. The closest I get to a day off is a couple of hours. As you can imagine it gets pretty exhausting. So, you can see how I wouldn't have very many good days or days with nothing to complain about. I'm the first to admit that I do nothing but complain about work and co-workers and such, but I have to say that I've been doing a lot less of that since I got home from school this year. It isn't because there's been less to be upset about, but rather the opposite. There is so much going on, so much more stress than ever before in my life right now, that I just don't have the energy to grasp it all. I have never been as tired as I have been in the last 3 months. There are so many days during the week that make me want to just give up, lay down and let the world walk all over me. Today is not one of those days. In fact, today is one of the best days that I've had in a very long time. I can honestly say that I haven't felt this good since I got back from Utah. Nothing terribly significant happened today. It was actually one of my more stressful days this week. I had an 8AM meeting at the Olive Garden, worked until 4:00 and then went straight to my other job and worked until 10PM. No break today. However, directly following the meeting I was told by my boss and two co-workers what a great job they thing I've been doing. They had all kinds of great compliments to say, which made me feel great! There is nothing like hearing that you're doing a great job at work. If that wasn't enough, my boss promised me a performance review in the next week or so which means a pay raise, which I've been waiting for for about 2 years now. I was walking on clouds after that, but there is more. When I went to my other job today, we were very busy. I was running my tail off most of the night and getting great tips. The part of the night that really topped off my day was toward the end when one of my customers handed me a huge tip and told me what a wonderful waitress I was and how great of a job he thinks I'm doing. He said he understands how hard it can be going to school and working at the same time and he knows how stressful it can be and he thinks that I'm handling it all so gracefully. I almost cried right there at the table. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it feels so good when someone recognizes how hard I'm working. I really needed to hear all that today. Sometimes that is really all it takes.

1 comment: